5.29.2013

We’re having a…. (Hint: it’s not a boy. Or a puppy.)

This pregnancy thing just got real, people. Because on Friday, we found out that we are going to be bringing a real live baby girl into this world.

baby 12 weeks ultrasound 2

I didn’t think knowing whether my baby was a boy or girl would change anything, but it does. At least for me. There’s something about being able to say “SHE’S moving” that makes it so much more real. Like, this is really happening. I am really going to have a baby. When did I get old enough to be responsible for another human being? I’m pretty show it was just a few weeks ago that I looked this. And found this to be a perfectly beautiful ensemble. (Oh wait, I’m thinking of this dress.)

dress up

Since many of my 7th graders have been obsessed with knowing whether it is a girl or boy ever since they found out I was pregnant, I had them cast their votes all last week. It sort of turned into an all-out war with fairly absurd logic.

DSC_1579

DSC_1580

I suppose I should say non-logic.

DSC_1584

A couple of girls requested that I email or text them with the results because they “couldn’t live waiting until Tuesday to find out and neither could their mom.” I am happy to report that there were no casualties. This is probably mostly because I wasn’t being “destructive or mean.” (?? wheredotheygetthisstuff)

DSC_1585

I also had a student ask in complete sincerity—he wasn’t even trying to be an obnoxious almost-teenage boy—if it could be a puppy. Said his sister saw it on TV. No, honey, it can’t. Sorry to disappoint.The best, though, was the girl who literally drew a punnet square on the whiteboard to determine that we would be having a boy based on the facts that Rick and I both have brown hair and brown eyes and boys with brown hair and brown eyes are cuter than girls with the same. I’d have been offended if I wasn’t laughing so hard.

DSC_1586

You can see from some of the photos that a few kids suggested names. My personal favorite suggestion was “Turd Pickle.” That right there is 7th grade boy brain at its finest and most creative. Too bad that particular name is really more suited for a male heir.

DSC_1581

Aaaand you obviously know that the presence of a girl means that pink WILL be making its way into this house and Rick can’t even veto it. I told him he should be extra happy that it’s a girl because now I won’t try so hard to sneak pink into every other room of the house. I picture something like this:

pink explosion nurserySource-ish

The only difference is that my baby girl will obviously have a nose. I know because I saw it in the extra-creepy 3D ultrasound. (Of course, that particular image also suggested that I would be giving birth to a clay alien baby, so who knows.)

If you’ve had a baby, did you find out girl or boy before it was born, or did you wait for it to be a surprise? If you haven’t had one, what do you think you’ll do if you have a baby in the future? There is no way I could have waited to find out. Well, I mean, I could have waited, but then I might not have definitively eliminated puppy from the realm of possibility and I’d just always wonder.

33 comments :

  1. Yaaay! So much fun! SO exciting. You two are going to be such great parents.

    I don't know whether I'd be up for finding out or not, but my soon-to-be husband is SO BAD at surprises and waiting for things that there's no way we wouldn't find out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAHOOO!!!!!!! let the planning begin! i hope your baby has a nose.
    and that pink everywhere nursery.... yes. do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! You should have told puppy kid that it was actually an alien. (This is why I can't teach children!) Can't wait to see pink take over your house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I am so excited for you two (perhaps a little bit more for you since you'll be able to have a completely pink room)!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A GIRL!!! That is so exciting, and she is going to be SO beautiful. Especially with a nose.

    Turd Pickle made me laugh out loud.

    Did you "feel" like it was a girl? I KNEW we were having a boy, and the sonographer said it was interesting how often moms were right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly didn't feel either way! Most people told me they thought it was a boy, so I sort of got that in my head, but not for any real reason obviously. :)

      Delete
  6. Awwwww, yayyyyyyy! If I was preggers, I'd definitely want to know what sex the baby was. I'm too much of a planner to be surprised at the end...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5/29/2013

    I KNEW YOU WERE HAVING A GIRL!!!! I told you so, didn't I?

    Back in 1979 when I was pregnant with my first baby, that was still in the dark ages when you didn't find out the sex of your baby until it was born. However, since my baby moved all the time I was convinced it was a boy. Turned out it was a girl. Alot I knew about being pregnant. Then in 1981 (still in the dark ages, of course), my second pregnancy was completely opposite of the first one. My baby hardly EVER moved. I figured this one must be a boy since literally everything was opposite of the first pregnancy. Sure enough - it was a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yayyyy! That is so exciting!!!

    What is it with middle school boys and poop? Can they think of nothing else?

    I totally support your vision for the nursery! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poop and boogers. Sometimes during grammar lessons I'll throw in sentences using those words. Gets them every time...

      Delete
  9. WOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!! I found out. I hate surprises. :-)
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  10. yay for baby girls!!!! congratulations erin :) i had to know what i was having. being so sick for so long, i needed to know what to call "it" moving inside of me..i needed to name "it"..i just needed to know! once we found out and named her, it really helped me..even on the sickest of days. i only have 6 more weeks to go until i meet our baby girl! you will get there to--i can honestly say it goes by much faster towards the end. i hope you are feeling well and enjoying your precious girl :) congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that's so fun! I did it once each way - didn't find out the first time and then found out the second. Both were fun, but it sure is easier to plan if you know ahead of time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sooooooooooo -- Rickita's room (you are entertaining name suggestions, right?) will be fuchsia & froofy, huh? Guess we'll have to be sending you gift cards to fabric.com so you can purchase miles of tulle... Good thing you're an experienced pillow-stitcher!

    ummmmmmmm -- about "turd pickle" -- sounds like a suggestion from around my dinner table... except it would've been spelled out in belches... or farts...

    So happy that your house will be such an incredible place to raise your girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rickita Turd Pickle. That flows nicely.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations! I remembered how everything changed when we found out we were having a girl. It's so much easier to picture a girl or boy vs. a blob growing in your belly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations!! Everyone I know is having girls right now, myself included. I think there is something in the water because last year it was all boys haha!

    I was on the fence on whether or not I wanted to know if it was a girl or a boy so I left it up to Charlie - he didn't want to know so Kayleigh was a surprise! When she was born the doctor had him announce it was a girl and I loved that so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that's funny about all girls because it seems like everyone around here is having boys! :)

      Delete
  15. A girl, yay! I'd love the excuse to use pink too.

    I don't want to find out the gender, but hubby does . . . So we'll cross that bridge when I'm pregnant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY now you get to buy cute stuff like dresses and tutus instead of like..pants...idk i always think i probably wont know what to do when we have kids and they end up being all boys. probably still dress them in tutus and dresses? (F#UTURECRAZYLADYMOTHER) but really congrats that is amazing! I don't think I could wait to find out either. I am too nosy and too much of a planner!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Didn't want to know with our first, there are too few good surprises in the world! Also, I hate pink and was planning a navy and white nursery no matter what. First was a girl, premature for unknown reasons. After discovering that we were likely to have another preemie we did not want to find out with 2 & 3 because girls mature more quickly and we would have been nervous wrecks if we knew we were expecting a boy. (all three girls by the way, and I'm drowning in the dreaded pink!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I thought I wanted just a gaggle of little boys, but now that I have my girl, I can tell ya: they are the BEST. So snuggly. They actually sit still! And, of course, there is the matter of hair accessories. My world revolves around which hair accessory I'm going to choose for hereach day. Having a girl ROCKS. SOOOO EXCITED FOR YOU! Are you going to announce the name once you know it, or be a big fat jerk and make us wait? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big Fat Jerk reporting for duty. It's going to be a secret. I'll add to my big fat jerkdom by adding that I think we have it picked out already. ;)

      Delete
  19. Yay!!! Congratulations! I hope you still consider Turd Pickle; I hear it's the new Madison.
    I can't wait to see the little bundle!!
    We absolutely found out. I could not wait. I actually think if there is a number 2 that it will be a surprise. =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations, Erin. A baby girl is so much fun - the shopping, the decorating, the hair accessories (when they get hair).

    Back in the dark ages when I had my children (mid-70's), we didn't find out whether it was a boy or girl. Heck, we didn't even have ultrasounds unless there was a known problem or risk to the baby (I had one with my 2nd because it was a complicated pregnancy - but no sex was given).

    ReplyDelete
  21. We found out for our first, and I'm pretty sure we won't be able to stand finding out for our second.

    Our son is 2 and he already looks at us mischeviously and starts saying "Poop, poop". I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay!!! congrats! That's so exciting! I think turd pickle is a great suggestion. TP for short ; )

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats!!! I work with that same age group. Last year I had some bets and crazy name suggestions also lol! I can't wait to see the pink fluffy room!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Woo-hoo! Congratulations! Girls are SOOO much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous7/23/2013

    I just found your blog from view from above and love your humor! I almost burst out laughing at Turd Pickle. ~Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  26. WHAT? I thought for sure I posted my comment on here, but I know I at least wrote you personally. I'm so glad you're not having a puppy. THAT would be weird. So, a girl it is!!! God has a plan. (And Rick better be prepared! ;)

    And with THAT...I think I am all caught up on your blog. I feel better now. (Have I completed flooded your inbox today?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oops...completely.
    I hate typos. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...