5.08.2013

Going Drip-Splat-Smear Happy {Imprecise Watercolor Dot Art}

Allow me to highlight some key differences between myself and Rick.

Difference #1: Rick stores his ties from a hanger and makes sure that all are hung at precisely the same height. I store my scarves in a box on the floor and occasionally even on the floor. No precision required.

Difference #2: Rick puts all of the forks in one side of the dishwasher utensil rack and all of the spoons in the other. All happily facing the same way. I shove. To use the term “haphazardly” would be generous.

Difference #3: All of the bills in Rick’s wallet are sorted from smallest to largest, neatly flattened, upright and facing the same way. My purse contains 98% unnecessary junk and eats things. Rick went in there to find something last night and came back 10 minutes later slightly chewed asking me “how I ever found anything in there.”

In sum: I work hard at embracing my inner slob.

So you can imagine that when Rick came home to see this splattered and smeared and drippy and entirely imprecise watercolor propped against the den wall…

drippy watercolor dot art

…his expression looked something like this.

rick

In case you need further confirmation of my slob-fest, all of the dripping and smearing and splattering was sort of an accident. Said accident was brought about by me being in a ginormous hurry budgeting my time wisely, and then I just went drip-splat-smear happy and messed up the whole thing. I believe it was Picasso who once said “Art is born in moments of irrational haste.”*

simple watercolor art*Picasso never said that.

The frame and mat used to live in my parents’ attic. It also used to sport two ladies lounging in what appears to be the middle of a lush meadow.

DSC_1526

I sprayed them with paint. Lush meadows are overrated.

DSC_1528

I made the big dots just by smearing on some watered-down craft paint with a paintbrush. I didn’t measure or use a stencil. (That would require time, people.)

DSC_1529Does this color remind anyone else of boxed macaroni and cheese?

The next step in my madness involved accidentally letting said dots drip all over because, in my impatience, I picked up the thing before it was dry. Fail. (But I like it better this way. I am slob, hear me roar.)

drippy watercolor dot art

easy watercolor art

This whole mess was inspired by this much prettier and less drippy watercolor dot painting that I’ve had pinned for a while. This whole mess is also currently alone in inhabiting the space above the desk in our den. It might need a friend or two to watch over it and make sure its purse doesn’t get too messy, if they are willing to look beneath its disheveled outward appearance and see the tender soul inside who just doesn’t have time to concern itself with organized forks and spoons.

drippy watercolor art

Whose neatness does yours most closely match: mine or Rick’s? Have you ever been working on something and then accidentally-on-purpose made it messy? Anyone else have a man-eating purse? Please do spill. (Or splatter. Or smear. You know, in keeping with the theme of this post.)

Linking to the Pinterest Challenge at Bower Power, Sparkle Meets Pop, Red Bird Blue, and Young House Love!

27 comments :

  1. OH MY GOSH I LOVE YOU. Seriously. That sounds EXACTLY like something that I would do! And know what? I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I sort of love this. I'm not just saying that because I, too, have a purse that eats everthing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of you! Hahahaa.... Dallas and I are opposite kinds of clean. He needs stuff bleached and scrubbed. I need stuff tidy. Best of both worlds, I guess. Plus I rarely have to scrub stuff.

    I think it's really pretty! Especially against those gray walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually really like it! My purse eats things too... maybe we need a support group? Although that sounds time consuming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha and obviously us purse slobs don't have time for stuff like slob support groups ;)

      Delete
  5. I love this! Absolutely love it!

    I have a purse that eats things too, but everywhere else is fairly organized, just not my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this! I just did this on a HUGE canvas that I bought from the thrift store for $15. I used acrylic paint though

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so much more like you! Painting turned out great I love how you got the drips to fall so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool! But mine would have to look like this here
    http://samanthasbrewedawakening.blogspot.com/2011/08/npr-national-public-coffee-rings.html
    so it could go in my kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore this! I never would've known you didn't do the drip marks on purpose - I like it better that way ;)

    Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness it's perfect!! I can't believe it was an accident :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this!! and we all know I'm much more on the "slob" side of things (although now that I have my own apartment I'm much neater than I used to be... however there is still a pile of clothes on the floor... oops)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's like this messy yet has a bit of neatness to it. I like it.

    It's hard dealing with us Type A pharmacists. Good things we have the slobs in our lives keeping us grounded. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve always said that’s why Rick is the pharmacist and not me, because I’d be all like oh yeah, close enough…and that would kill someone. Which is generally frowned upon.

      Delete
  13. Kim Bradley5/09/2013

    YOW! I L.O.V.E. your painting so much I'D BUY ONE! But maybe I'll make one . . . if I can find the paint . . . and maybe a canvas will fall out of that pile and volunteer for the job. Slob? It's a badge of honor, woman!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's perfect! I love the drips - it would not be nearly as interesting without them. Your poor husband will just have to get used to it as it's perfect for that wall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks fantastic. =) Coming over from Bower Power.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5/09/2013

    I have to say that I'm a combination of both of you. I love your painting, but I refuse to put the forks and spoons together in the dishwasher. My Rick tries to do that, too, and I will come along and re-do the silverware basket just before they get washed. When dishwashers first came on the market, the demo salesmen would tell you NOT to put the same utensils together in the silverware basket because they would tend to "spoon" with each other and food would get trapped between them. That was how my mother taught me to load the dishwasher. And, yes, perhaps that is where the term "spooning" comes from. I don't really know. But it seems a logical argument to me :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our dishwasher has a rack thing where each utensil essentially goes in its own little slot--so none of them touch. Rick's method produces little lined up fork soldiers. :)

      Delete
  17. Super cute! Rick is totally going to come around, and he is going to want to make one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! I think the "mistake" makes it look even better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it's awesome! This is reminding me that I really need to do something about my messy, impossible wallet situation inside my purse. It doesn't even close. Unrelated note: I feel a tiny twinge of loss for the girls in the meadow. They're obviously in a much better place now, but they probably just never saw this coming.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it would look even cooler if you hung it sideways.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha, I'm definitely more on Rick's side of the neatness spectrum. In fact, all of my ties are organized by style on a tie hanger, and all of them are hanging at the same height. That's also exactly how any bills in my wallet always are. That being said I can also appreciate art differently then I appreciate organization. I like spatters, drips, and assymetry in art. I just hope you took that painting to the Antiques Road Show to make sure it was worthless first!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this...it totally pops off the grey wall! Absolutely perfecly imperfect! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous5/10/2013

    this is really cool I love the color choices. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...